THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, April 5, 2010

Sweet Potato & Coconut Milk Soup

I don't have many pics for this entry because 1.) I hadn't really planned to blog about it in the first place but am just getting into the habit of taking pictures when I'm cooking and 2.) after I made it I figured a better and less work intensive way of making it is in the crock pot so.. that's the kind of recipe I'll give.

ANYWHO!

I love quirky soups like this one I stumbled upon, and the fact that it contains some form of coconut endears it to me twice fold. It's got a lot going for it.. Multi-faceted in flavor, spiced, rich, vibrant, healthy and cheap if you play your cards right.

I'm not sure how much sweet potatoes proliferate in Thailand (Although I know they are used - I've already admitted once or twice my weakness in asian cuisine) but this soup is at the very least a thai-fusion dish with the coconut, chiles, spices and lime.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The way I will make it next time is pretty much entirely in the crock. And I will give a vegetarian recipe although there are many variations online that use diced chicken (I myself used diced ham but realized this soup would be every bit as fulfilling sans meat).


Sweet Potato & Coconut Milk Soup

2 med. Sweet Potatoes – large dice
2 med. Carrots – large dice
2 apples – peeled, cored & large dice
1 lg. Yellow Onion - diced
2 green chiles (I used jalepenos) – seeded, de-ribbed & minced
2 garlic cloves – minced
1 t. fresh ginger - minced
2 t. ground cumin
1 t. coriander
1 t. turmeric
1 can Coconut Milk
4-5 c. Vegetable Broth (start w/4 – add more after puree step to adjust consistency)
1 lime – zested & juiced
Salt to taste
Minced fresh Cilantro for garnish

~ Add all ingredients except the lime to a large crock pot and cook on High for 3-4 hours (until potatoes are tender)

~ If you are fortunate enough to have an immersion (stick) blender, use it at this time directly in the crock to puree the vegetables to a desired consistency - **If you do not have a stick blender, feel free to transfer the contents of the crock to a blender and puree in batches if you must

~ Stir in lime juice and salt to taste – garnish with cilantro

(If you want to add in diced meat, just saute the meat and add to the crock after you have pureed the soup for ½ hour more on low setting)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Well that's it! I didn't really research anything but rather just wanted to share a dish that had a pleasing turnout for me. Ciao now!

0 comments: